August 2, 2015

Diana's Shelf: Book of the Month - June & July - featuring Juliet Braddock, Jessica Park, Jettie Woodruff, Rachel Van Dyken, David Levithan & Belle Aurora


Hi there! :) Here are my recommendations for June and July, along with some of my favorite quotes. 

~June~

On the 3rd place is Willing Captive by Belle Aurora

(Author note: This is NOT a dark romance.)

Delilah “Lily” Flynn is used to her drab existence. Lily’s been living it for twenty two years. 
Her boring life is suddenly turned on its head when she’s rudely kidnapped from her bedroom.
Or so she thinks.

Nox Taylor is far too high up in his field to be assigned a babysitting job. 
There’s nothing more he wants than to complete his mission so he can be rid of the smartass tomboy, Lily.

Day after day, Nox watches Lily and her strange ways. She’s unlike any woman he’s ever met. 
Getting close to the girl is purely for her own protection…right?

Lily never imagined she’d make her first real friends in captivity. 
What lengths would she go through to keep them?

**This is a stand alone novel and is unrelated to Friend-Zoned**

Genre: Romance, Adult, Contemporary

My Thoughts: Willing Captive is the kind of book that leaves you wanting more of it. 

Delilah has always been living a boring life – not being able to go out or have a social life because her father’s job might put her and her family to harm taught her that it’s safer not to take any risks. 

However, when she’s kidnapped by some strangers from her own bedroom, she begins to seriously question her safety. Soon, she learns that she’s been sent away because of the threats her father has been receiving and she’s being protected by a specialized team who will ensure her well-being. All of this would be a child’s play if the leader, Nox, wouldn’t be so bossy and soo good-looking. For Nox, Lilly isn’t like any woman he has ever encountered. 

This book has everything I was looking for: it is very well written, it has an original plot, lovable characters and plenty of humor to keep anyone entertained.

“Do you love me?”
Without hesitation, he answers, “More than anything in my life.”


On the 2nd place is Black Rain by Jettie Woodruff

This is a story about me, about who I am, about how I got to be me, and about the people who helped mold me in to Makayla Carlie. 
There comes a time when life’s disappointments start to add up. When you can’t cry one more tear. When you can’t feel that surge of panic one more time, or when you can’t pray for one more day. You wonder, are we humans having a spiritual experience, or are we spirits having a human experience? What does it all mean? Do we all have a purpose? People said I was a hero—that I could persevere through anything I put my mind to. How could I be a hero when I never got a choice? Nobody asked me. 
I did what I hope anyone reading this would do. While one life was taken too soon, another needed to live, really live. She needed to be the center of somebody’s universe. I was that universe. Just like the Pea under the mattress, I felt her. 

Genre: Romance, New Adult, Contemporary, Drama

My Thoughts: Makayla is a teenager who just lost her mother, the only real family she had so, with nothing to keep her there anymore, she decides she would leave for another city as soon as the opportunity arrives. 

Luckily, she stumbles upon Blake, a rich, stubborn man, who’s desperately looking for a babysitter for his little girl, London. Pea has been neglected since she has been born and needs unconditional love and, while Mikki had the perfect childhood, she no longer has somebody to care for. Both of them find in each other that missing piece, the one who'll be able to understand without judgement.
Such an emotional story about finding a reason to go on. The story of a girl who, emotionally, is not a child anymore. I highly recommend it!

"Mikki?"
"Yeah, baby?" 
"I think she gave you up so you could find me." 
That right there was why I did everything that I did. My heart filled with pride. Maybe she was right. Maybe Pea needed me more than I needed my mother. Maybe my mom knew that.




For high-school senior Celeste Watkins, every day is a brutal test of bravery. And Celeste is scared. Alienated because she’s too smart, her speech too affected, her social skills too far outside the norm, she seems to have no choice but to retreat into isolation.

But college could set her free, right? If she can make it through this grueling senior year, then maybe. If she can just find that one person to throw her a lifeline, then maybe, just maybe.

Justin Milano, a college sophomore with his own set of quirks, could be that person to pull her from a world of solitude. To rescue her—that is, if she’ll let him.

Together, they may work. Together, they may save each other. And together they may also save another couple—two people Celeste knows are absolutely, positively flat-out in love.

Whether you were charmed by Celeste in Flat-Out Love or are meeting her for the first time, this book is a joyous celebration of differences, about battling private wars that rage in our heads and in our hearts, and—very much so— this is a story about first love.

Genre: Romance, Young Adult, New Adult, Contemporary



My Thoughts: Flat-Out Celeste is the second installment in the Flat-Out Love series, and it tells the story of Celeste, who now struggles with being a ‘normal’ teenager, having a social life and making friends. For her, these things are far more complicated than one can expect. 


While deciding on which university to go to, she meets Justin, a sweet, curious boy who wants to know absolutely everything and who’s exactly what Celeste needs in order to gain confidence in herself. For once, she has finally found someone who understands her and who is willing to show her that the world isn’t as complicated as she thought. 

The dynamic in their relationship was perfectly written. This is the perfect book for those who want something different, a sweet and, both, funny and emotional story.

“You have taught me that I am allowed to like myself as I am, at whatever stage I am in. I can change, I can stay the same, or I can be whoever it is that is right for me; but I can be satisfied. No, more than that. I can be proud. I can celebrate. That is what I am going to do.” 


~July~

On the 3rd place is Every Day by David Levithan


Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.
There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day. 




Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Fantasy

My Thoughts: David Levithan’s Every Day is a fascinating and emotional story that addresses the readers the following question: is it possible to fall in love and stay in love with someone's soul? 


A has never had a life that he could call his own; ever since he can remember, he had lived different lives which he took great care in leaving undisturbed. 

Everything changes when, one day, he wakes up in Justin’s body and meets his girlfriend, Rhiannon. For the first time, A has found a good reason to wish to stay. But is a relationship between them possible when absolutely nothing is certain? 

The author’s idea was truly brilliant and his words touched my soul deeply. I highly recommend it! 

“When first love ends, most people eventually know there will be more to come. They are not through with love. Love is not through with them. It will never be the same as the first, but it will be better in different ways.”



My name is Milo Caro and I have a confession to make.

I’ve been in love with Colton Mathews since I was five. He should have known that sharing a cookie with a sugar obsessed little monster would do the trick–it sealed his fate. So really, the fact that he’s sporting a black eye, a limp, almost got ran over by a car, and was nearly responsible for another person’s death? Right. HIs fault. Not mine. 

I made a pact with myself–this weekend would be different. I’d come home for my brothers wedding, smile, and Colton would naturally melt into my arms, we’d get married have five kids, live in a house by the river, and get a dog named scratch (clearly I’ve thought this through).

What really happened? I punched my brother in the face, Colton kissed me and apologized, I lied about having a boyfriend, oh and everyone wants to meet the mystery man. 

They say laughter always comes before insanity–ha, ha. All I wanted was my brother’s best friend…instead I’m sitting in prison. 

Let this be a lesson to you all…life rarely happens the way you want it to. 

Damn cookie.

Genre: Romance, Contemporary, New Adult,

My Thoughts: I don’t think I have ever laughed so much as I did while reading The Consequence of Loving Colton.


Milo has been in love with her brother’s best friend, Colton, since she was 5. Over the years, though, they became distant. 

The weekend her older brother is getting married, Milo can’t avoid Colton anymore and she makes up her mind – she will seduce him, helped by her best friend, Max.

While the plan is supposed to be simple, it takes many twists and turns and the other characters make it even more hilarious. One thing that I appreciated was that every character had its own role in the story and no one was left on the outside. 

This is another great book written by the talented Rachel Van Dyken and I am so glad I had the chance to read it. I cannot wait for the next volume!


“Milo bought a goldfish once,” Max felt the need to pipe up. “She was drunk. She loved that fish,” He snorted. “I ate it.”


On the 1st place is Weakened by Juliet Braddock


Against the glittering backdrop of New York City, budding theatrical publicist Maxine Kirk, fresh off the bus from a small Pennsylvania town, stumbles into the arms of her beloved teenage crush, unleashing desires that she never imagined. 

Enter Drew McKenzie, a rising star on Broadway with dashing looks and talent to match, who masquerades behind the characters he portrays. 

Instantly, Maxine finds herself lured into Drew’s high society world only to uncover a complicated man beneath the glitz and glamour of his public persona. As soon as the curtain falls, Drew sheds his stage costumes to reveal a daring Dominant side. 

Titillated by his enigmatic life, Maxine clamors to discover a surreptitious and possibly perilous affair with Drew, all the while questioning her own preconceived notions on romance. 

Secrets surface, revealing haunting truths that test both Maxine and Drew of their own intentions. But in this high-stakes game of trust, only the strongest survive. 

Genre:  Romance, Erotica, BDSM, Adult

My Thoughts: Weakened is the first book in the amazing Manhattan Bound Series and tells the story of Maxine Kirk, who moves to New York to work as a publicist. 

Shortly after she moves in with her best friend, Ben, she finally gets to meet her biggest crush, the enigmatic Drew McKenzie. Granted, that meeting is not exactly what Maxine had envisioned, but the strong connection between them cannot be denied or ignored.

Caught up in a whole new world, Maxine discovers Drew’s darker but definitely sexy side and realizes there's a side of herself she never knew existed. But, in order to build a relationship, both of them have to conquer their pasts and trust each other. 


Juliet Braddock’s writing style is SO GOOD that I couldn’t get enough, even after I finished the second book. It has met all my expectations and the story she’s created has made it among my all time favorites. There aren’t many books that I can describe as ‘flawless’, but this one was just that. 



Aaand I found my new book boyfriend *wink, wink*

Check our reviews HERE and see Mikky's blog post to find out more about Wrapped, the second installment in the Manhattan Bound Series.


“There’s something about you, Maxine,” he said. “Something sweet… something pure… but something complex that I haven’t yet figured out. And I like you.”


No comments: